I've made a few simple experimental terrariums in the last few weeks. Last week I had my first one on one 'build your own terrarium' workshop with a lady colleague of mine. She really enjoyed it, maybe just as much if not more than I did. It was a nice, relaxed afternoon with plenty of chatting and laughing in between. She took home two of her first terrariums; a closed and an open terrarium. She sent me a photo of her open terrarium after she's added an ornament she had at her home.
I experimented on available plants I can use in my creations. While doing so I came across a few miniature gardens in pots and was captivated by the broken pot projects that are plastered all over You Tube. I like the idea of creating a scene, a story; something that means something to me. So I channelled the ideas I have for my closed terrariums and used them to create my first three broken pot projects.
I had to buy new pots and then break them, sounds stupid but I learnt that the Italian made pots are better or stronger. I want my miniature world to last, I believe it's worth getting a new pot plus I'm sure it is clean. I never bothered to research how to break them to get the shape I want. I had to glue or put grout in the bigger pot as it broke way further than I wanted it to break. I think I've learnt a bit about breaking pots now, I know I'll do a better job next time. I must say they are a pleasure to look at. By the way, watching my mother's way of gardening all those years I helped her in her garden, I have become one of those gardeners who talk to their plants, they do respond very well!
The broken pots are really like mini-worlds, I just love them. I am currently on the look out for a bigger pot I could use; only this time I am hoping to find a give-away one rather than buy a new one. Good quality pots can be a bit pricey and I wouldn't have the heart to break a new big and expensive pot. So keeping my fingers crossed.
Below are a few shots I took while making my first broken pot mini-world.
Step1: Breaking the pot, as you can see I made a mess out of it. It was never my intention to break the pot halfway but I had no idea how to do it. It just doesn't give you a good base/foundation when you only have half of the base.Step 2. So I had to sit it on something to create a full base...glad I found one sitting around...I used a premium potting mix for my planting medium and a few pebbles at the bottom to help with drainage.
Step 3. Before I started planting, I wanted to use an ornament so I took a few of the dead flower branches from our golden cane palms and created a hut or log cabin. My first hot glue gun job for a very long time, I couldn't control the amount of glue coming out. Either I didn't have enough lighting to see what I was doing or it's simply the fact that I'm almost half blind and working under a dull light didn't help.Step 4. I chose a few little plants from the garden and small ferns from the garden centre and planted them where I wanted them to go
Step 5: The end product; my first mini-world. Looking back I realize now that I should have glued the base to the pot.
Moss would have made this mini-world look more lush and it should be achievable but being an open mini-garden, moss would require too much time in trying to establish it. I have plants dying each time I have to go away for a few days simply because there's no one reliable enough to water them. Hence the reason I thought terrariums are the way to go as they can go without care for long period of time. But I just fell in loved with the broken pots and I know with a bit of consideration of the types of plants I use, they too can do without much care if left for a few days.





No comments:
Post a Comment