Next I went looking for little ornaments for my bottles; they too are readily available but most were too big and are not proportional for what or where I intend to use them. I read one terrarium artist on etsy that she uses polymer clay for her figurine. Spotlight has Sculpey and Officeworks has Fimo; between the two shops I managed to purchase enough to start making my own. I was glad to find out how much easier to use them compared to the air dry clay I used in my first bottle.
My husband was horrified when he saw the first female figure I made. He could not stop laughing, well...we could not stop laughing in fact! He tried his hands on it but his I think was even worse. I knew I can only get better with practice, I just need to try harder which I did. Besides it's never my intention to create fine looking figurines or carbon-copies of my originals because to me they are only caricatures; there only to represent the real thing. My main reason for doing this is to have fun, to enjoy, to relive memories and to celebrate life! Life's too short to fuss too much about details. That's my alibi anyway, it makes me feel better.
It's early days and I will continue to research in order to improve my creations. At the time being, because of where I am geographically located I have no easy or cheap ways of acquiring plants, containers but moss most especially. So I make do with whatever materials I have or available around here. Two months later, the moss are now established inside my closed terrariums and they look happy!
Here are a few photos I took of my latest bottles (close and open terrariums) I made once I felt there's no nasties in my moss. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, my DSLR decided to retire a few weeks ago.
![]() |
| Moss and fern forest |
![]() |
| Weekend Adventure: Rock climbing |
![]() |
| Weekend Adventure: Kayaking |



No comments:
Post a Comment